digital design process

yesterday at uni i had my first semester crit. this is when we get the opportunity to pin all our work up, get it away from our studio spaces and talk about it to the entire workshop and get feedback.
i'm a bit of a retard when it comes to talking in front of groups of people and manage to get myself all worked up for nothing, i talk at a hundred miles an hour and even get the shaky hand or leg or both at the same time. this is totally ridiculous considering it is only for 10 minutes in front of people i am completely comfortable around.

anyway, besides this slightly painful side of yesterday's crit process, i am quite excited about where i am up to with my design process and really enjoyed getting feedback. there were two ideas in particular that were very exciting and will experiment with over the next few weeks but firstly, i would like to share a little bit of the design process of a some of my latest work.

because i am using my collections as a starting point to develop pattern for printed cloth, i thought it might be a useful experiment to use photoshop filters to simplify shapes directly from an image of the jelly moulds.

below is a detail of one of one of the moulds.

i then used the photoshop filter 'stamp' to simplify the image.

doing the same with another detail photo, changing the colour and layering them together.

in an earlier post i used this same filter on an image of my whole collection and really loved the flower shape of my smallest jelly mould. here i have copied it it randomly onto the top layer.

these are a few quick sketches in my visual diary from looking at the moulds. i am really interested in the relationship of bold shapes when layered with illustrative motifs. i chose the large flowery motif to layer with the image.

finally, this is where i stopped. as a little composition i was really happy with how the shapes were working together and the texture was a nice addition from the very bold, flat imagery that i was printing last year. and of course, the colours...these combinations are from my vintage telephone colourway from earlier post.

AND....these are some samples of this design printed onto cloth.

1 comment: